The communications and signal processing societies are welcoming the research trend of integrating radar/sensing with communications as a new era of information technology, which triggers a vast number of innovative applications such as autonomous vehicles, intelligent street lights, wearable Internet of Things (IoT) devices, indoor positioning, next-generation mobile phones, etc. This emerging avenue of research is typically referred to as Integrated Sensing and Communication (ISAC).
The ISAC can be implemented through a synergistic design of communications and radar/sensing systems with shared spectral and hardware resources, wherein the strategies of cohabitation designs and/or dynamic spectrum allocation/access with interference suppression or management are mainly devised. The ISAC can also be implemented from a co-design perspective, wherein the communications and radar/sensing systems are able to operate in parallel with jointly optimized performance. In essence, ISAC can acquire two main advantages over dedicated sensing and communication functionalities: 1) Integration gain to efficiently utilize congested resources, and even more interestingly, 2) Coordination gain to balance multi-functional performance or/and perform mutual assistance. It is worth noting that the rapid evolution of ISAC also illustrate a possible future dual-functional network to enable novel services for civilians, in which sensing collects and extracts information from the noisy observation, while communication is to transfer information via specifically tailored signals and recover it.
A number of new challenges are emerging, triggered by this novel design paradigm. Despite having drawn huge attention from both academia and industry, many open problems are still to be investigated. This workshop aims at bringing together researchers from academia and industry to identify and discuss the major technical challenges, recent breakthroughs, and novel applications related to ISAC and multifunctional network.
We seek original completed and unpublished work not currently under review by any other journal/ magazine/conference. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Fundamental information theoretical limits for ISAC
- Edge computing/computing offloading for ISAC
- Network architectures/transmission protocols/frame designs for ISAC
- Spectrum analysis and management of ISAC
- Full duplex/interference management techniques of ISAC
- Modulation/waveform/precoding/receiver design for ISAC
- Security and privacy issues for ISAC
- Machine learning methods in ISAC
- MIMO/Massive MIMO/intelligent reflecting surface (IRS)/Holographic MIMO surface for ISAC
- Millimeter wave/THz technologies for ISAC
- UAV enabled ISAC
- ISAC for IoT/IIoT/IoE
- ISAC for 6G vehicular-to-everything (V2X) network
- Standardization progress of ISAC
- Wi-Fi sensing/positioning/detection for ISAC
- Experimental demonstrations, testbeds and prototypes
Workshop Web Page
- Workshop Paper Submission Deadline: 20 January 2024
- Paper Acceptance Notification: 6 March 2024
- Camera Ready: 15 March 2024
- Accepted Author Registration Deadline: 15 March 2024
- Wen Tong, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Jie Xu, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen
- Yuanhao Cui, Southern University of Science and Technology
- Andrew Zhang, University of Technology Sydney
- Weijie Yuan, Southern University of Science and Technology